Explore and deepen your awareness of Shakespeare's text in this advanced intensive eight-week course.
Through classes conducted by the RADA faculty in essential skills, rehearsal of text and presentations, the course extends the range of each student's work, uncovers tensions that block development and works on strategies to remove them.
Part of our World of Shakespeare series of courses.
Participants work in groups of approximately 16, and in smaller groups for some skills classes.
During the first six weeks, you will have classes in Physical Performance, Alexander Technique, Stage Fighting, Period Dance, Choral Singing of the period, Voice, Voice into Text, Character in Text, Sonnets, Monologues and Scenes; as well as weekly workshop sessions.
There will be three presentations, all followed by group feedback from senior Academy staff and individual feedback from your skills tutors. Finally, there will be a workshop production of a Shakespeare play in one of the RADA theatre spaces, rehearsed with your director throughout the final 10 days of the course. All presentations are in-house and not external showcase productions.
Classes are taught, and rehearsals conducted, by the Academy's senior staff and distinguished directors and teachers from the profession.
The course is not a casual undertaking: total commitment to punctuality, discipline and preparation is required from every student.
- 18+. Students below the age of 18 are not normally accepted. Entrance is by audition.
- The course is aimed at students who have experience of acting at professional, graduate or undergraduate level.
- Please remember that, although there is no upper age limit, this is a physically demanding course. While any specific needs will be taken fully into account, participants must be reasonably fit.
Who is this course suitable for?
- Those who have experience of acting at professional, graduate or undergraduate level
- Those wishing to expand, explore and deepen awareness of Shakespeare's text
- Those wishing to work on strategies to remove tensions that block development