Behind the Scenes Access Programme
At Open Door, our Behind the Scenes Access Programme supports participants aged 17-30 who are passionate about a career in Technical Theatre and Productions Arts and who want to apply to study at one of our partner schools. Technical Theatre and Productions Arts careers can include the likes of scenic art, theatre technology, set construction, costume construction, prop-making, set/costume design and more!
Our current partner schools are Guildhall School of Music and Drama, RADA, Royal Welsh College of Music, and The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. We can give you the support you need to approach your interviews with confidence, knowing that you have benefited from the advice and mentoring from our selected industry professionals.
The Behind the Scenes Access programme provides participants with:
- Free auditions at our current partner schools: Guildhall School of Music and Drama, RADA, Royal Welsh College of Music, and The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Travel expenses to all to auditions
- Free theatre tickets throughout the programme from theatres such as Royal Court, Donmar Warehouse, Nottingham Playhouse, National Theatre, Curve Theatre and more!
- A series of creative workshops
- Five hours of one-to-one tutoring
- Access to our hardship fund to cover any expenses relating to being part of Open Door or your audition process
- All UCAS and UCAS Conservatoire fees paid for
- Pastoral support and mentoring from the Open Door team
To apply to our Behind the Scenes Access Programme, you must currently meet the following criteria:
- Be based in the Midlands, Essex, Sheffield, London and the South East
- Have an annual family household income of £33,000 or less OR £40,000 or less with mitigating circumstances (caregivers, care leavers, are over 18 and receiving Disability Living Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or a Carers Allowance)
- Be aged 17-30 (must be 18 by September 1st 2023)
- Not currently hold a degree
- Have a commitment to production or backstage arts as a career goal
- Intend to apply for a full time 2-3 year backstage course for the 2023 academic year
- Be a UK citizen or have lived in the UK long enough to be eligible for UK student finance.