Musical Theatre: Audition Preparation
This weekend course is for people age 16+ who are interested in applying to the BA Musical Theatre at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. It is designed and led by experienced audition panel members and aims to equip you with a range of practical activities which will help you prepare your audition pieces to the best of your ability.
More people than ever are applying to Musical Theatre programmes and the audition process is highly competitive. Preparing songs and monologues goes far beyond learning the words and melody. The panel will expect you to have a thorough understanding of what you are delivering and to have rehearsed your pieces to a high standard. Auditioning is a nerve wracking experience, but being prepared can stand you in good stead on the big day.
By the end of the weekend you should have:
- An understanding of the new RCS audition process
- Used practical exercises to explore your chosen songs and monologues in depth
- Undertaken research activities which increase your understanding of the dramatic texts and musical theatre repertoire which your materials come from
- Covered the fundamental principles of character development
- Taken part in a guided dance session covering technique and choreography
- Received guidance on filming your audition material
- Developed a plan to continue preparing your songs and monologues beyond the life of the course
Although this course specifically prepares students for audition at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, it provides skills and experience transferable to other contexts.