Genesis Future Director
The Genesis Future Directors Award was designed to identify, support and nurture a director to explore their craft and stage a production in the Clare Theatre. The Award is aimed at emerging directors who have demonstrated a talent for, and commitment to, directing but have had limited opportunity to make work.
The recipient of the Award will have the opportunity to work for four weeks on a play of their choice. The director can work with up to three actors and a full creative team. The production is part of the Young Vic's programme and is fully supported by the Young Vic's creative, administrative and production teams. The project concludes with 10 performances to a paying audience in the Clare Theatre. There are two Awards per year and these opportunities will be advertised through the Genesis Directors Network.
The close relationship between the Genesis Foundation and the Young Vic dates back over fifteen years. The generous support we have received has been crucial to establishing and maintaining our work with directors, which is at the heart of everything we do.
The director will have the opportunity to work for four weeks on a play for the Clare Theatre. The production will be part of the Young Vic’s program and will be fully supported and produced by the Young Vic’s creative, administrative and production teams. The award will conclude with 12 performances to a paying audience in February 2019. The director will receive a fee and will be supported by a full producing and creative team including designer, lighting designer, sound designer and stage management team, as well as a casting director. The actors will be paid a Young Vic company wage.
They are looking for directors who:
- Have already demonstrated a talent for and a commitment to directing
- Have directed at least one professional production but are at an early stage of their development as a director
- Demonstrated a commitment to originality and a desire to expand their understanding of theatre practice
- Are fascinated by the actor’s process and the director’s role in it
- Are able to rehearse the production from 7 January 2019 and the show will run to 16 February
- Are resident in the UK at point of application