Jane Goodman Writing Fund 2023
MMD is delighted to announce that applications are open for the Jane Goodman Writing Fund, making small grants available to female and non-binary MMD members. This fund forms part of our activities to champion female/non-binary musical theatre writers, supported by the Jane Goodman Charitable Trust.
You may apply for grants of up to £1000. There is no minimum grant amount.
Eligible applicants are:
- Female-identifying or non-binary
- A composer/lyricist/book writer (or combination) of musical theatre, at any level of professional experience
- A current member of Mercury Musical Developments
Grants will be given for particular needs, activities or purchases rather than general financial support. We have a limited amount of funds available and would like to award grants to as many writers as possible. You are advised to apply for specific costs rather than estimations if possible, and you should demonstrate how this activity/spend will benefit you as a writer.
Applications close on Monday 6th February 2023. Applicants will be notified by Friday 17th February.
What sort of thing can I apply for?
Hypothetical examples could be:
- A computer or piece of recording equipment
- Attendance fees for a course, retreat or class
- Paying yourself for writing time in lieu of paid non-writing work
- Childcare costs to free up some more writing time
- Paying a dramaturg/director/performers to provide feedback or do a reading of your work
- Paying for musical transcription of songs
We will be able to fund very few full £1000 grants and smaller grant requests may have a better chance of being successful.