JMK Award will offer one director the opportunity to direct a full-scale Orange Tree show with the production values and nurturing guidance the building is famous for.
JMK Award has entered a new partnership with the Orange Tree Theatre, from 2019 onwards, with the winner’s production forming a core part of the theatre’s annual programming. At this new home, the JMK Award will offer one director the opportunity to direct a full-scale Orange Tree show with the production values and nurturing guidance the building is famous for. The winning director will receive a fee of £4000 for their work as director on the production.
The first part of the JMK Award process is the release of the play list - 8 or so of published plays we have selected for this year.
Applicants will then read plays from this list and choose the one they would most like to stage. They then fill out our JMK Award application form, which asks how they would rehearse and stage their selected play.
JMK use a play list in order to give all the directors who apply an even starting point. The directors have freedom to pick the play that best suits their individual style and ideas from within that list. The list is released with a good amount of time before the application deadline closes, to ensure all applicant directors have plenty of time to choose a play.
- Must be not more than 35 years of age on 1st January 2019
- Must not have directed more than three professional productions. We define a professional production as being a full-length piece performed by professional actors (whether paid or unpaid) to a paying audience for a full production run (3 weeks or more)
- Must have some professional training in the performing arts
- Must not be in full or part-time education between now and July 2019 or currently undertaking a degree
- Must be resident in the UK.