American Theatre Arts BA (Hons)
Reasons to study American Theatre Arts
• Our curriculum responds directly to events in the world beyond the campus, placing your creativity, social engagement and activism centre-stage.
• Your training by a diverse group of practitioners covers a comprehensive range of performance disciplines, including musical theatre, acting on camera, directing, playwriting, solo performance and theatre for young audiences.
• You will perform in public shows directed by professional American and British practitioners.
• Collaboration lies at the heart of our approach and you will work alongside designers and digital artists in the staging of unique immersive and multi-media productions.
• Our practical exploration of American ‘classics’ highlights their social and political contexts so that plays by writers such as Arthur Miller, Lorraine Hansberry, Tennessee Williams, Amiri Baraka, August Wilson and Suzan-Lori Parks complement a critical study of the history of the USA.
• You will participate in the creation and production of new material mentored by experienced playwrights, devisers and composers.
• And you will have a chance to study in the USA. We have partner institutions in New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Kentucky, North & South Carolina and Texas.
Our graduates have gone on to perform on stage and screen in the UK and US, to win awards as actors, playwrights and directors, to work for leading television and theatre producers and to create their own independent theatre companies. Agents our students have signed to include; MGA Management and Becky Barrett Management (BBM).
You may also be interested in:
Acting, BA (Hons)
Actor Musicianship, BA (Hons)
European Theatre Arts, BA (Hons)
“You become a well-rounded practitioner rather than just a straightforward actor.” Jeremy Cobb, ATA Alumnus