BA (Hons) Costume Design and Construction
On this highly respected vocational course you will learn how to research, design and construct costumes for performers of many kinds. You will work on live projects with renowned creative companies, and the course has a strong graduate employment record.
On this course you will:
- Complete a number of professional practice module, at each level where you will work as part of a team delivering the costumes for a series of live projects working in collaboration with partner organisations and companies, taking responsible lead roles in Years Three and Four.
- Design and Construct up to three individual period costumes-which are your personal property.
- Learn to create designs for three or more theoretical productions ranging from Shakespeare to TV Crime Drama.
- Pursue a personal costume interest as research.
- Think of a dramatic performance that you loved and you can probably picture the characters' costumes. Costume design and construction are vital when it comes to creating successful theatre, film and TV productions. It is a creative and challenging career: you need to know the theory and history of costume design, how to make costumes physically and how to manage the wardrobe of a live production.
At the heart of the course are the professional practice modules where you will work as part of a team delivering the costumes for a series of live projects working in collaboration with partner organisations and companies.
You can opt to study for an honours degree over four years or an ordinary degree over three years. You will complete a range of modules each year as outlined.