BA (Hons) Dance
University of Plymouth and Theatre Royal Plymouth have joined forces to launch Plymouth Conservatoire. Here, performing arts students – actors, dancers, and theatre-makers - will have the very best, up-to-date industry expertise, research and teaching practice as well as unrivalled access to professional opportunities.
It is the only Conservatoire in the UK where students can benefit from the unique mix of expertise on offer when a theatre and a university combine.
Enjoying training in the theatre with performing arts practitioners hand-in-hand with top quality teaching from higher education specialists in a university, Plymouth Conservatoire students get the best of both worlds.
It is this winning combination that drives innovation, the exchange of ideas and best practice and that helps students to gain that all-important creative edge.
Building career portfolios while studying
Plymouth Conservatoire’s performing arts students are encouraged to have the highest aspirations. The University of Plymouth has well established partnerships in the city, and with schools and colleges, as well as with experienced mentors at the Theatre Royal Plymouth.
These partners provide students with work opportunities so that, as new graduates, they have career portfolios that facilitate their entry into the workplace.
Engage with cutting edge, contemporary performance practices in The House, our stunning new performing arts building. You'll experience an innovative and inclusive approach to dance training, and develop as a skilled, expressive dance practitioner able to work in different contexts and professional dance environments. We’ll nurture your creativity in performance and choreography and help you to develop a strong career portfolio as you study.
• Study with Plymouth Conservatoire and benefit from the very best, up-to-date industry expertise, research and teaching practice as well as unrivalled access to professional opportunities.
• Experience our award winning, purpose-built performing arts facility, The House.
• Theatre Royal Plymouth's production centre, TR2, provides yet more training and rehearsal space.
• Develop a strong career portfolio with work-based learning and professional development opportunities that will boost your skills and expertise, and enhance your employability.
• Advance your creative practice with talks, master classes and workshops with visiting companies and internationally recognised teachers; in the past these have included Alvin Ailey Company, Russell Maliphant, Hofesh Shechter, Jordi Cortés (DV 8), Yael Flexer, Leila McMillan, Candoco and StopGap.
• Benefit from free texts provided in year one, an intensive residency with a nationally acclaimed company in year two, and a production budget available for your final degree performance.
• Gain professional experience through intensive patterns of teaching delivery, production and technical rehearsals, giving you the same experience you’d gain with a professional dance company.