If you're thinking about a career in the music industry, this course can help you on your way.
If you’re already a competent musician or singer, this course will help you take your skills to a whole new level via the studio and live performance environments.
You’ll spend one day a week rehearsing at the Berkeley 2 Studios in Glasgow (http://www.berkeley2.co.uk/) and will perform regularly including:
- Live gigs in the college theatre, and local pubs and clubs around Ayrshire
- Outdoor gigs, such as Jam at the Dam in Ayr
You’ll discover what it takes to be a performer – as well as musical talent, you’ll need business know-how, entrepreneurship, loads of hard work and plenty of confidence.
Here’s some more on what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll focus on live performances, finding out about all the practical aspects involved with ‘gigging’ and developing skills to successfully perform live.
- You’ll look at stagecraft, including how to interact with your audience and fellow performers, technical skills relating to your performance and how to create a stage persona.
- You’ll develop skills in songwriting, researching the structural elements of songs and different genres, before writing your own original song.
- You’ll develop skills in composing, looking at a range of techniques and styles, and creating your own musical composition.
- You’ll learn about recording techniques, including the multi-track recording process.
- You’ll develop skills in music theory.
- You’ll look at the practical issues or ‘non-performance’ aspects of being a professional musician, including self employment and legal obligations.
You’ll also have the opportunity to:
- Take part in regular masterclasses with professional musicians
- Record and release your own material via our record label Sun Turtle Records
- Take part in community projects