BA (Hons) Make-up with Special Effects for the Creative Industries
Our BA Hons in Special Effects for the Creative Industries course is multi-disciplinary. You will learn a variety of specialist practical and academic skills appropriate for various industry sectors and specialisms. This involves the understanding and evaluation of the different specialist contexts of makeup artistry in which you operate such as film, television, theatre, editorial, commercial, or fashion.
Through practical and theory learning you will be able to explore contextual makeup application for differing genres, hairstyling and setting, postiche and wig work, colour theory, historical period makeup and hair, special effects makeup, i.e. Casualty Simulation, Character, Trauma and Body Casting; Painting, Moulding, Sculpting and Colouration.
Ultimately you will learn about the Design Development Process and acquire a range of transferable skills, self-awareness and self-confidence, enabling the realisation of your individual potential, personal, social and professional development and strategies for professional practice and lifelong learning.
Entry to this course requires 80 UCAS tariff points.
Qualifications could include:
- A BTEC or UAL Level 3 qualification in Makeup Artistry / Makeup related subject
- A Levels that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one subject
- T Level qualifications are accepted, a T Level PASS with a minimum of a grade A*-C (equates to 96 UCAS points)
- Other related Level 3 qualifications such as Art and Design, Media, Production Arts or Hair
- Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved institution or provider
- Related Work Experience
- International Equivalent of the above
Admission is normally based on your portfolio and interview. This portfolio may consist of research, design development and work in progress (such as sketchbooks, visual journal) or finished pieces of work in the form of images, photographs, actual 3-d pieces and on-line portfolios.