Scenic Arts (Construction, Props & Painting) BA (Hons)
Reasons to study Scenic Arts (Construction, Props and Painting)
• Gain construction skills in wood and metal; using hand tools and machinery. Learn scenic painting techniques and explore prop making in a range of materials.
• Gain advanced skills with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and 3D modelling using resins and silicon
• Learn in our spacious workshop which includes CAD facilities, paint frame and specialist fibreglass and plaster room.
• Hone your craft, through manufacturing scenic elements to a brief for staged productions in College and London venues, collaborating with other programmes as part of a creative team.
• Develop your own areas of specialism through individual project work, productions and work placement preparing you for a career in the theatre and performance industries.
• Share classes and projects with students from other programmes to learn about the performance, arts and events industries and how to use experimentation, enquiry and creative research in your work, and prepare to build a successful career.
Our graduates have gone on to work as freelance scenic painters, prop makers, carpenters and engineers, and to work for scenery construction companies for theatre, film, television, entertainment, museums and themed attractions.
You may also be interested in:
Design for Theatre and Performance, BA (Hons)
“It is challenging but when you finish the show you can say “Yes, I built that!” It’s an enormously satisfying feeling.” Gareth Shippen Scenic Arts, 2017 Graduate