Foundation Degree in Scenic Construction
Become industry-ready with this intensive course focusing on practical, professional experience with some of the biggest names in UK set construction.
Why study scenic construction at RWCMD?
- Extensive industry experience forms the foundation of this two-year programme, which is the only one of its kind in the country. You’ll have hands-on training in constructing theatrical sets, both for RWCMD productions and during a series of different placements with our professional partners in the theatre, TV and film industries.
- These partners are some of the biggest scenic construction organisations in the UK, such as Cardiff Theatrical Services , Bay Productions, 4Wood and Wild Creations.
- With only eight places available each year, our training offers you a substantial amount of personal attention from our experienced practictioners who are experts in their field, and you’ll be treated as a professional from day one.
- When you’re not on placement you’ll be based at our fully fitted workshops at Llanishen Studios, where you will be taught carpentry, metal fabrication, drawing software for computers, as well as programming our CNC machine to cut out complicated shapes in sheet material.
- You’ll get a real feel for what it’s like working alongside practitioners from other areas of production. For example, in our workshops you’ll train alongside Design for Performance and Stage Management students, collaborating with them to present innovative and inspiring projects at RWCMD and on your placement.
- Your practical work will be prominent on the stages of our theatre spaces for RWCMD’s drama, opera and musical theatre productions.
- You don’t need previous construction experience to get a place on the course: we’re looking for passionate, inventive, creative students who are open to being challenged and trying new things.
On successful completion of the Foundation Degree, you have the option to undertake an additional year of study specialising in scenic construction to be eligible for the BA (Hons) Design for Performance.