A Casting Director is the person responsible for selecting Performers for a production. This role is crucial to the overall success of a production. If the Performers hired don’t have the correct experience or quality to play their role they may affect the production. A Casting Director must ensure the most appropriate team of Performers is selected for every role in the production.
What are the main responsibilities of a Casting Director?
- Study the script to understand all speaking roles
- Collaborate with Directors and Producers to determine a roles requirements i.e. physical characteristics, voice ability, experience etc.
- Prepare casting budgets
- Contact Agents directly to source ideal Performers for the production
- Review CV’s and contact suitable Performers
- Organise auditions and readings
- Interview and audition Performers and determine their suitability for the part
You can also search for opportunities on The Stage Jobs website here.
What qualifications do I need to be a Casting Director?
Formal qualifications are not required to become a Casting Director, but experience is necessary. Individuals who want to pursue a career as a Casting Director can complete a degree in theatre or film production, acting or business to increase their chances of employment.
What skills do I need to be a Casting Director?
- Current knowledge of acting talent and the ability to maintain knowledge of industry trends and theatre text
- Instinct to recognise talent
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills
- Good communication
- Great negotiation skills
- Ability to work well in a team and listen to the Director and Producer of the production
What does a career as a Casting Director look like?
Many Casting Directors begin their careers as Casting Assistants (CSA) to become a Casting Director. Some complete apprenticeships for Casting Agents and Directors or some complete work experience at talent agencies and production companies.
How much does a Casting Director earn?
A Casting Director can earn as much as £260 per day/ £1,430 per week.
Published: 27 August 2019