A Casting Director is the person responsible for selecting Performers for a production. This role is crucial to the overall success of a production. If the Performers hired don’t have the correct experience or quality to play their role they may affect the production. A Casting Director must ensure the most appropriate team of Performers is selected for every role in the production.
What are the main responsibilities of a Casting Director?
- Study the script to understand all speaking roles
- Collaborate with Directors and Producers to determine a roles requirements i.e. physical characteristics, voice ability, experience etc.
- Prepare casting budgets
- Contact Agents directly to source ideal Performers for the production
- Review CV’s and contact suitable Performers
- Organise auditions and readings
- Interview and audition Performers and determine their suitability for the part
You can also search for opportunities on The Stage Jobs website here.
What qualifications do I need to be a Casting Director?
Formal qualifications are not required to become a Casting Director, but experience is necessary. Individuals who want to pursue a career as a Casting Director can complete a degree in theatre or film production, acting or business to increase their chances of employment.
Find opportunities on the Get Into Theatre website here.
What skills do I need to be a Casting Director?
- Current knowledge of acting talent and the ability to maintain knowledge of industry trends and theatre text
- Instinct to recognise talent
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills
- Good communication
- Great negotiation skills
- Ability to work well in a team and listen to the Director and Producer of the production
What does a career as a Casting Director look like?
Many Casting Directors begin their careers as Casting Assistants (CSA) to become a Casting Director. Some complete apprenticeships for Casting Agents and Directors or some complete work experience at talent agencies and production companies.
Find apprenticeship and work experience opportunities here.
How much does a Casting Director earn?
A Casting Director can earn as much as £260 per day/ £1,430 per week.
Find all careers advice here.
Published: 27 August 2019