A Theatre Outreach Manager is responsible for the planning of engagement within the wider community. They will work with theatre practitioners, venues, schools and local authorities to build relationships and development between the community and the theatre.
What are the main responsibilities of an Outreach Manager?
- To reach out to the community by planning events, courses and meetings
- Discuss future plans with the Executive and Artistic Director
- Devise and plan in accordance to the development of the theatre
- Create opportunities for people to come into the theatre
- Manage the project budgets
- Manage freelance staff for the projects
What qualifications do I need to work as an Outreach Manager?
Whilst there are no specific qualifications needed for a Theatre Outreach Manager, these are some undergraduate and postgraduate courses that can be useful in gaining experience for the role:
- Theatre Education
- Applied Theatre
- Community Theatre
- PGCE (teaching qualification)
Here are some subjects that you can take at school that you can study which will teach you some useful skills for a role within theatre outreach:
- Creative Writing
- Drama/Theatre Studies
What skills do I need to work as an Outreach Manager?
These are the desirable skills to have to be a candidate for a theatre outreach role:
- Experience in project management
- Strong communication skills
- Planning skills
- Ability to create ideas and lead them
- Ability to work as a team and independently
- Good time management skills
- Multi-tasking skills
- Strong writing skills
- Experience working with young people/working with people in community
- Teaching skills
What does a career in theatre outreach look like?
You can start as an Administrator role or another role within a project for the Theatre Outreach Director to gain experience before moving into a Theatre Outreach Director role.
How much can I earn working in theatre outreach?
Pay can be between £24k - £50k, depending on the theatre, project and what is expected of you.
Search opportunities here and Find jobs with The Stage Jobs here.
Published: 04 March 2019