Our vocational, hands-on courses prepare graduates for life-long careers in the creative industries.
Mountview Technical Production graduates enter a strong network of successful professionals working in lighting, sound and technical production as well as senior management roles. Their work spans large-scale national, West End and regional theatres as well international touring productions, festivals & events, as well as TV, film and media companies.
The Technical Production Foundation Degree is a full-time two-year course with 30 contact hours per week over 36 weeks in each year. With continuous assessment across all the compulsory modules based on coursework and practical show roles, students work alongside professional lighting designers, sound designers, senior technicians and programmers.
Specialisms in Sound, Lighting and Technical Management are built on a robust foundation of transferable skills. Strong emphasis is placed on learning through practice, with workshops in all areas of production arts.
Students can then take third year BA (Hons) top-up in a specialism. This provides greater experience in their chosen field and the responsibility of senior lighting, sound and technical roles. This top-up year is open to non-Mountview Foundation graduates with relevant qualifications or experience.
Technical Production training covers:
- Hands-on training with contemporary equipment
- Technical stage craft skills including rigging and flying and installation of live productions
- Sound studio skills including recording and editing technology and techniques
- Lighting Studio skills including computerised drafting and visualisation software’s
- Understanding and designing lighting and sound systems
- Prepping, fitting, and monitoring radio mic systems
- Planning, prepping and managing lighting equipment for live productions
- Programming and mixing industry standard sound desks on plays and musicals
- Programming and operating lighting desks, including working with generic and moving lighting equipment
- Technical and maintenance skills such as power distribution, soldering and other skills needed by the modern production professional