A Front of House Manager (sometimes shortened to FOH Manager) is responsible for the day-to-day operation and management of the reception and seating area of a theatre. They are responsible for supervising the Front of House staff.
What are the main responsibilities of a Front of House Manager?
- Take the lead operational responsibility for the safety and security of the building
- Ensure all systems and procedures for security are followed at all times
- Lead the Front of House team and ensure the smooth running of the Front of House operation
- Responsible for recruitment, induction, development and training of new staff
- Ensure all Front of House staff have the appropriate training including: customer service and health and safety
- Creating staff rotas and ensuring Front of House is staffed at all times
- Provide excellent customer service to all visitors of the theatre
- Deal with any issues raised by visitors
What qualifications do I need to be a Front of House Manager?
You don’t need any qualifications to work in a Front of House department however it is customer facing so you will need to have a good level of English and numeracy skills and be comfortable speaking with members of the public. Take a look at our blog 'How can Maths and Science lead to a career in theatre?'
What skills do I need to be a Front of House Manager?
Front of House operations is all about delivering the best customer service possible. As a Front of House Manager it is your responsibility to ensure your team can do this. Any of the following skills will be extremely helpful in this line of work:
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Excellent customer service skills
- Problem solving
- Managing a team
- Keep calm in situations
What does a career in Front of House Management look like?
To gain a position as a Front of House Manager you will need experience working in customer service. You can begin as part of the Front of House team or an Usher and work your way up or be able to demonstrate that you can manage a team, solve problems quickly and deal with potentially unhappy visitors. Read our blogs 'What does an Usher do?'and 'What do Front of House staff do?'
How much does a Front of House Manager earn?
A Front of House Manager can make between £18K-£24K and depending on whether you meet targets or how long you’ve been with the company they may offer you a bonus.
Photo: Alex Brenner
Published: 02 July 2019